Looking back at 2017, I can honestly say that it was the worst year in recent memory, no contest. From the moment we rung in the new year, there was an air of dread and sadness hanging over most of us. We were starting an awful, four year stretch of despair thanks to our new “president.” And things didn’t get better, at least not in my eyes. Every group of minorities suffered in 2017, including ones that I myself am a part of.
In a personal way, though, I did have a few victories take place. My first major milestone was the one year anniversary of Gutterfashion. I surprised myself because I didn’t think I’d be able to do it. You always dream of the day when you get to celebrate one year or even your second, but it always seems so far away. Because I stuck with it and never gave up, I had the chance to meet a ton of super talented creatives, with whom I’ve created a lot of lasting friendships.
As we moved further into the year, I let go of a big burden in my life. Everyone has a job they don’t like, one that they dread waking up to every day. If you’ve never experienced this, consider yourself very privileged as it is not a fun experience. The day I walked into my job and decided I had enough, nothing seemed different. It was a day like any other, maybe one that was even a bit better. But near the end of the day, something had come over me. I was dealing with a lot and everything just came to a head. I made the rash decision to leave and at the time, I had no other job to head into. The universe was looking out for me, I guess; I got a call a few days later to interview for the job I’m currently at. The rest, shall we say, is wonderful history.
In 2018, I will be celebrating Gutterfashion’s two year anniversary. My wish is that I stick with it through thick and thin. A lot of projects are in the works, including our transition to YouTube where we’ll be posting vlogs and bonus content. We hope that you continue to stick with us and support us like you always have. We wouldn’t be where we are without you!
On a grander scale, I hope that the world and our economic climate changes for the better. It’s going to be a long, hard battle, but I’m looking forward to wrongs being righted and steps in the right direction towards a better future. I want all of my friends to have the safety and happiness that many others do. Here’s to 2018, a new year with hope and promise.
So, what were some of your favorite or least favorite moments from 2017? Be sure to let me know in the comment section down below!
Links à la Mode, January 11th, 2017
- Adorned in Armor: 3 Ways To Live Life On Purpose
- Aesthetic Distance: Are Corporate Diversity Training Seminars Complete BS?
- Cubicle Chic: What I’m Doing Differently This Year || 2018 Planner Review (x3) & Giveaway
- Chicago Petite Blog: My January Wishlist
- Eboni Curls: 2018.
- Girl in Betsey: How to Pull the Velvet Blazer
- Gutter Fashion: Thrifted: Reflecting on 2017 and My Wish for 2018
- It’s Maria Claudia: Project Planner + Motivational Quotes [FREE PRINTABLE]
- Julia in Red: On Change, Self-Belief & Moving Forward into (A Fabulous) 2018
- Just Gigi: 7 Tips to Stay Stylish in Winter
- Kenguri Styles: Over The Top
- Luna Vida: Blue Hues | Crewneck Sweatshirt + Raw Hem Jeans + Converse
- Online Personal Stylist: How to Use a Bullet Journal for Fashion Blogging
- Sifa’s Corner: At-Home Teeth Whitening: Tips & Products for a Brighter Smile
- Tales of Two: 7 Steps to Having Acne Free Skin
- The Glamour Pursuit: Lessons I’ve Learned in 2017
- With Love, Dani: Styling the White Boot